2006 Hendrickson Memorial Prize in Short Fiction
Below, you’ll find the guidelines for the upcoming Hendrickson Memorial Prize in Short Fiction. After over 1300 poems were submitted for last year’s HMP in Poetry, we’re expecting a big turnout this year. Of course, keep in mind that although the HMP allows only one piece to be submitted, you can always submit additional stories for publication outside the HMP rules and regulations; this allows authors to submit additional pieces they feel are representative of their work. Good luck to all entrants!
2006 Hendrickson Memorial Prize in Short Fiction
Dirt Press proudly presents the annual Hendrickson Memorial Prize celebrating an exceptional, original work by an emerging and/or established author. The 2006 Hendrickson Memorial Prize will be awarded to the best short fiction work exhibiting the traits of directness in language and authenticity of spirit. The Prize will continue to alternate in subsequent years between the disciplines of fiction and poetry.
The short fiction work must be more than 1,000 words, but may not exceed 5,000.
The First Place Winner of the Hendrickson Memorial Prize in Short Fiction will be awarded $300. Additionally, two $100 Editor’s Choice Awards will be awarded during each contest cycle. The works of all prize winners and other select entrants will be featured in the online edition of dirt and will also be published in the printed anthology of dirt.
There is no fee to submit a work for consideration, however, each applicant is limited to one entry. Please note, multiple submissions cannot be considered for the prize, but will be reviewed for future issues of dirt, both online and in print. Simultaneous submissions are not allowed. The contest is open to international applicants.The deadline for the 2006 Hendrickson Memorial Prize in Short Fiction is May 1, 2006. Please note, the Editors of Dirt Press, LLC reserve the right to forfeit the contest if they deem the submissions to be incongruous with the standards set by the Hendrickson Memorial Prize.
Rules and Regulations
Please carefully review the submission guidelines. Submissions that do not follow these guidelines will not be reviewed.
1. Applicants must be 18 years or older to qualify.
2. Each applicant is limited to only one entry and must be the author of the submission. All submissions must be original, previously unpublished works. By submitting work, the author grants Dirt Press, LLC the right to publish the work at the discretion of Dirt Press, LLC.
3. Only electronic submissions will be considered for the contest. “2006 HMP Fiction” must be typed into the subject line of the email and must be submitted to email@example.com by Monday, May 1, 2006 to be considered.
4. Submission to the contest can either be pasted into the body of the email or attached as a Word document. Please refrain from stylizing the document with unconventional fonts, indentations, and/or spacing. If the submission is illegible on screen or in the printed form, the entry will automatically be disqualified.
5. All late or improperly labeled submissions will be reviewed for future issues of Dirt but will not qualify for the contest. Entries must include your full name, address, valid email address, and phone number or the submission will be disqualified. By submitting, the entrant agrees to all the rules and regulations outlined here for the Hendrickson Memorial Prize.
6. All personal information will be kept confidential, and will not be sold or traded to any third party. No purchase or fee necessary to enter.
7. The winner of the Hendrickson Memorial Prize and the recipients of the Editor’s Choice Awards will be notified by email. All other entrants will not be contacted with the exception of the authors of alternate entries selected for publication in dirt. All winners will receive a check for each of the respective awards to the name and address supplied in the original entry. Any changes to the winner’s personal information must be forwarded to Dirt for proper distribution of the prizes. If Dirt Press, LLC is not duly notified of changes to either of the mailing or email addresses, Dirt Press, LLC reserves the right to forfeit the prize after 60 days.
8. This contest is international and open to all individuals, except the staff members of Dirt Press, LLC, their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising or promotional agencies, and the immediate family members of each.
9. By entering, entrants release dirt and its representatives from all liability with respect to the use of the prize awarded herein, agree to be bound by these rules, and consent to the use of their name and/or likeness for promotional purposes without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law. This contest is void where prohibited. Winners are responsible for any taxes, fees, duties, if applicable. The prize is not transferable or redeemable for cash.
10. No responsibility is assumed by dirt for any lost, late, misdirected, or illegible entries or for any computer, online, or technical malfunctions that may occur.
11. Decisions of Dirt Press, LLC on all contest issues are final. Dirt Press, LLC reserves the right to cancel, modify, or suspend the contest without further notice.
12. Good luck!
My Daily Random Question:
Name at least one thing you like about where you live…
With me it’s the local pub which has recently been converted into a Thai restaurant.(I tried it out on my birthday!)
The Happiness Manifesto:
Today I’m grateful for:
1. Having a nice warm bed to snuggle in. (Still not feeling well today). Spent most of the day there!
2. Father Ted DVD’s! LOL
3. The little splattering of snow — even though it didn’t settle.
4. Not having to go out with the dog, in the freezing cold, wet and windy weather.
5. My husband for taking a half day off work to walk the dog, cook dinner and look after me…Ahhh!